Guest: Michael Shaw, CEO, ACSPEG
Episode Number: 145
Publication Date: Monday July 24th, 4pm Pacific Time
“3SI subject matter expertise data and so forth comes from the seller’s side of the table, essentially from the suppliers themselves. So how does that happen? What the 3SI firms do they target and hire individuals from very specific roles at the suppliers themselves. These are people, individuals who’ve worked in the area where business operations and finance comes together.” – Michael Shaw, ACSPE
Today I am joined by Michael Shaw. Michael is well known through the Sourcing industry, particularly here in the US, he is currently chairperson of the American Council of Sourcing and Procurement Executives.
The heart of today’s conversation revolves around a concept called 3SI – Supplier Specific Sourcing Intelligence. The premise is that a number of companies struggle to access the supplier market intelligence that they need to really enable them to build win-win relationships with key suppliers. We tend to focus on win-lose, or leverage when it comes to using market intelligence. Following the principles of 3SI provides the ability to craft deals with key partners – and Michael provides an example of a Microsoft licensing deal – that provide better results than a typical negotiation would achieve.
Areas we cover in today’s conversation include:
- What is the American Association of Sourcing & Procurement Executives?
- What are the key challenges that Michael hears from executives within the association?
- Why procurement leaders need to ensure they are skating where the puck is going
- An introduction to the concept of 3SI
- What are the sources of data that underpin 3SI
- What are the technologies that Michael is keeping a keen eye on in terms of potential impact to procurement