PODCAST: Decision Points on the Journey to Becoming a CPO
Guest: Alex Brown, Chief Procurement Officer, GLOBALFOUNDRIES
Episode Number: 104
Publication Date: Tuesday November 8th 2016, 10AM AEST
“Two of the most important things that I know today that I wish I had known earlier in my career are the importance of mentors and networking as enablers of success.” – Alex Brown, Chief Procurement Officer, GLOBALFOUNDRIES
In today’s Art of Procurement we take a look inside the career journey of Alex Brown, long time Chief Procurement Officer for Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and GLOBALFOUNDRIES, and winner of the 2013 Zycus High Performing Procurement Leader award.
In this wide ranging discussion focused on developing a long term career in procurement, Alex shares a number of key decision points that he had to make on his journey to becoming a CPO.
Listen in to the conversation to hear Alex’s perspective on a number of issues facing today’s procurement professional, including:
- The value of having sales experience as a differentiator within procurement.
- Is there value in pursuing a professional procurement certification?
- The importance of “destabilizing” from your comfort zone.
- How you can lead transformation programs as a legacy employee.
- The keys for a Manager to put themselves in the best possible position to become a Director, and for a Director to become a Head of Procurement / CPO.
- The importance of dedicating enough time as a leader to the forward looking and strategic aspects of a job in face of the demands to solve today’s problems.
- The two things that Alex knows now that he wished he would have known earlier in his career.